[CT Birds] Milford Point

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Thu Aug 8 09:26:49 EDT 2013

You know, I am going to get out of this discussion.  I don't bird Milford
Point for many reasons but constantly bad light and a growing lack of access
are the main reasons.  That I can be at Plum Island in MA in the same amount
of time from my home is another.  I have not even been at the Point since
the LeConte's Sparrow was there, and then for only one visit,  and not for
years before that.  The best reason to go there is to see Frank Gallo's
smiling face.

I will say that I am disturbed by the idea that conservation professionals,
including tern and plover monitors,  do not see a difference between
long-time dedicated birders and the dog-walking, beach-going, fishing,
kayak-paddling,  fire-work shooting public as it pertains to impact on the
colony. I am especially interested in the impact the elaborate and
gargantuan neighborhood fireworks displays have on the nesting colonies on
the point and into what has been done to put a halt to these unnecessary
disturbances.  I have not seen any numbers but I am sure the amount of
non-birding people walking on the spit is far greater than the birders.  I
am doubly sure that the number of people in the sensitive areas of the spit
are far and away non-birders.  By singling out the part of the using public
who actually provide useful information historically and in to the present,
by means of field notes and reports, summer and Christmas bird census data,
and word of mouth, singling the birders out because the monitors and the
conservation agencies can have no enforcement impact on the general public
who use this land, is disheartening.  Birders bashing birders .  We are
resorting to cannibalism in order to hang on to a sense of importance and
relevance in the conservation struggle.  Sort of funny.  Sort of sad.  A
hurricane could certainly sort this out.

Mark

Mark S. Szantyr
80 Bicknell Road #9
Ashford, Connecticut 06278
USA

1-860-487-9766
Birddog55 at charter.net
 "first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win." Ghandi