[CT Birds] Some Milford Point data

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 09:49:24 EDT 2013

I will provide the data below, but first I want to say that Nick did
specify that he did not go out westward on the nesting spit during the
nesting season. He birded from the mainland near the Francis Street area.
There is no problem with that. Scott was only concerned with going out on
the spit while terns and Piping Plovers were nesting. Somehow, I think this
was misunderstood by some.

Anyway, here are some Least Tern  totals which were provided in the weekly
updates supplied to monitors. I only include Milford Point data and I am
only providing the high counts for the updates given. Different monitors
record different totals for a variety of reasons.

Update #12 - 540 adult Least Terns and 120 nests on June 12.
Update #13 - 700 adults and 325 nests on June 20.
Update #14 - 175 pairs, 175 nests, 50 more single adults on June 26
Update #15 - 50 adults on July 6. This monitor most likely observed only
from the base of the nesting spit. Some monitors chose to do that rather
than go out the nesting spit and disturb the colony.
Update #16 - 161 pairs and 17 hatchlings on July 9.
Update #17 - 55 pairs, 11 nests and 4 hatchlings on 7/16
Update #18 - 134 adults, 52 young on 7/29
Update #19- 4 pairs, 6 single adults, 2 hatchlings and 2 fledged young on
8/1

Note: The first tide which probably claimed some birds most likely did not
take place until July 21, when there was a predicted 7.2 rise on the night
tide. The numbers had dropped from 700 adults and 325 nests to 134 adults
and 52 young by that time.

Anyway, I know that we are all on the same page in our caring about the
terns and plovers. That counts for a lot.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford