[CT Birds] Bird rescue

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 8 12:20:07 EDT 2013

Hey Paul, Good job!  I'm going to try and go to the cleanups Audubon is sponsoring.  Such an easy thing to do and we need to do much more of it.  My family and I already cleanup trash at beaches and other outings on our own.   Well, you probably remember the day at Hammonasset when I was picking up styrofoam cups and fishing line.  Too much non-biodegradable plastic is going into the rivers and oceans.  A little effort goes a long way.  You made a difference.  As a chemistry teacher I always discuss resource and pollution issues with my students.  It's tough to get people to consider changing their throw-away consumer lifestyle.  Thoughtless is the correct word.  Out of sight out of mind.  I do see scout and local youth groups cleaning up on Earth Day.  The polluters greatly outnumber the cleanup crews.  How can we educate the public about reducing trash pollution in the first place?  By example is one way.  I think it's better than it used to be as a societal practice since we recycle more.   However, there are more people now than say 40 yrs ago so the overall volume of trash is probably growing again.  What else can be done?

Dan