[CT Birds] On the flip side..

Brendan Murthy bmskua at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 9 12:31:13 EDT 2013

As a little ray of sunshine in the nesting tern conversation, I'd like to let everyone know the Common/Roseate colony on Great Gull Island has had a record breaking year, in terms of Tern numbers, successful nests, and low mortality rate.

One of the reasons for this years success was the boom of baitfish in the waters surrounding the island.  Some species, like the Blueback Herring, were present in unprecedented numbers..

I wonder why there are less baitfish in other parts of the sound?

I hope the success in that colony continues, its the odd one out now.

Brendan Murtha
Norwalk, CT

Sent from my iPhone