[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey update August 9

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Fri Aug 9 22:27:44 EDT 2013

The day was grey, breezy, & warm 11:00 am - 12:00. I had not visited since Sunday, and I observed a few new behaviors. Unthinkable a month ago, the egrets have come to resting on a dead tree en mass. At one point I counted 15, mostly Snowy, but also some Great.

On the nest was one young
On a branch below the nest was another young eating on its own. I don't know who made the catch, parent or young.
There was a lot of chatter between parents & young, with one young flying about the area, to the egrets for a while, and then returning to the nest.
The parents were in the trees, but eventually, the Mom returned to the nest along with one young.
Suddenly, the Mom/Young began a 'duet'. Mom seemed to get agitated, puffing out her wings and crying out. I was in an enclosed area and could not see if it was caused by an intruder, or if she was calling to the father to get lunch.
Through the trees, I saw an Osprey fly overhead towards the ocean, and the crying stopped.
I headed towards the shoreline, and saw four osprey circling ~ 1/10 mile away. I walked that direction as they hung high in the air riding the currents. There did not seem to be any fishing activity. I got closer, and two disappeared, but I was able to photograph from some distance what appears to be a pair, male/female.
On the return walk along the shorline, I saw at least 5 semi palmated plovers, and 20 Sanderlings feeding in the marshes.
In the pond there was a Great Blue Heron feeding.

Pix @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-adolescents-august-2013.html

A few weeks ago, we were fortunate to get a calm day at Eastern Egg Island in Maine, and I got a (very) few good shots of Puffins in the water. Those pix are at http://www.libraphotography.com/eastern-egg-island-maine---puffins.html

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich