[CT Birds] Please eBird your Shorebird sightings

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Aug 10 09:56:24 EDT 2013

Just a reminder that it would be helpful to document migrant shorebird usage in the state.  Many of our shorebirds continue to decline at disturbing levels and the better we understand stopover foraging areas, high tide roosts and other habitats that may be essential for them in migration, the better we can protect the places that are important to them.    There is a easy way you can help, simply ebird your sightings and share them with ctwaterbirds at gmail.com

It is important to track big concentrations areas for any migrants, but of particular concern are:
Lesser Yellowlegs, some research has shown that  global population may have declined by c.75% from 2002-2003 to 2008-2009, and that the species may face extinction within 20-30 years.  It was recently classified as "data deficient" on the IUCN Red List of global conservation concern.

Semipalmated Sandpiper, currently classified as "Vulnerable"on the IUCN list, populations have been experiencing precipitous declines similar to what happened to Red Knot: http://m.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/red-knot-isn-t-only-shorebird-facing-decline/article_ef8f17bf-3242-5b3a-a40d-2d4646a9b2a2.html

Buff-breasted Sandpiper, also classified as "Vulnerable".  Connecticut only hosts small numbers of these "grasspipers", but habitat is limited in this region and such habitat may be an important "fire escape" stopover for juvenile birds that find themselves on the east coast.

and of course the few Red Knots that find themselves on the habitat limited coast of Connecticut and any concentrations of migrant Piping Plovers.

This only covers the globally threatened and candidate species, but  American Oystercatcher, Solitary Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper, Whimbrel, both godwits, Purple Sandpiper (which I have noticed serious declines of in CT), Dunlin and Short-billed Dowitcher are all considered "Birds of Conservation Concern" but the US Fish and Wildlife Service.   Why Sanderling isn't on that list is a mystery to me and I expect it to be on the list soon.

Please keep in mind that these birds are on a tight energy budget and are of serious conservation concern, so please take care to avoid flushing them in the course of counts, and thank you for your help!

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut