[CT Birds] Shelton & Stratford

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Aug 11 22:26:24 EDT 2013

Today walked the blue trail at Eklund Gardens and around Hope Lake in Shelton.  There were many Chickadees and Titmice, Nuthatches, several Black & White Warblers, American Redstart and a Blue Winged Warbler.  There were many more birds up in the canopy but sun high and I'm Warbler impaired :(      And I'm 90% sure there was a Spotted Sandpiper at the Lake.  There was a bird with longish legs next to the water bobbing up and down as it walked with spotting on his front.  He was in the shade and took off across the Lake when i tried to get closer.  Seeing them frequently at the Boat Ramp and Greenway, I would say Spotted Sandpiper but would they be at a fresh water pond????

Also if you're out birding in the morning when the tide is low at the mouth of the Housatonic, stop by the Greenway on Beacon Point Road (street on right just before boat ramp).  There are hundreds of peeps on the mudflats - Black Bellied Plovers, Semipalmated, Sanderings as well as so many more I can't ID with binos.  A good number of Yellow Crowned Night Herons, Osprey and usually a Harrier. If you walk to the end of the sidewalk there are a good mix of birds in the brush.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT