[CT Birds] Shorebird Workshop for Municipal Officials 8/13!

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Wed Aug 7 19:54:03 EDT 2013

Dear CT Birders:

If you live in a shoreline town, we could use your help. In an effort to improve the management of local resources that support beach nesting and other coastal birds, the Audubon Alliance is hosting a free workshop for municipal officials next week. If you have a contact in your town, please share this invitation with them.  Here is the invitation:

Sharing our Shores:  Managing Municipal Coastal Resources for Birds and People

The Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds, in cooperation with Connecticut DEEP Wildlife Division, is pleased to offer a free half day workshop for municipal officials and interested board and commission members facing the challenge of managing coastal resources for birds and people. The workshop is designed to increase understanding and expertise regarding beach nesting birds such as the Piping Plover and other coastal species; explain local responsibilities for protecting these birds; share strategies and best management practices with shoreline colleagues; and finish the day with a guided tour of beautiful Milford Point, an area that provides habitat for several species of protected shorebirds and numerous other species.

The workshop is free and includes a morning classroom session followed by lunch (provided) and an afternoon guided beach walk at Milford Point. We hope that you will join us to learn more about our coastal waterbirds and how your community can help them thrive.

WHAT: Shorebird Workshop for Municipal Officials
WHEN: Tuesday, August 13th 11:00 - 3:00 PM; RAIN DATE: August 16th
WHERE: Margaret Eagan Center, 35 Matthew Street, Milford, CT 06460 Milford, CT & Guided walk at Milford Point
WEATHER: Due to the field walk, rain will postpone the event until August 16th.

RSVP and questions, please contact: Sandy Breslin at sbreslin at audubon.org<mailto:sbreslin at audubon.org> or (203) 264-5098 x306.

The Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds is a joint project of Audubon Connecticut and the Connecticut Audubon Society in cooperation with CT DEEP and USFWS. Learn more about our partnership and activities at: http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com/

This workshop is made possible through the generous support of the Long Island Sound Study and Toyota TogetherGreen.

Thanks so much!

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 cell (Best)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 fax

Audubon Connecticut, the state organization of the National Audubon Society, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using education, science and conservation, and legislative advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature education centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local, volunteer chapters, we seek to connect people with nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.