[CT Birds] Milford Pt.

Shaun Martin birdj510 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:49:15 EDT 2013

I have seen the issues at Milford Point first hand. Two summer ago I was
fortunate enough to have an AMOY position along the coast. I saw very
responsible, and irresponsible people along Milford Point during that time.
Although I do agree that careful observation while out on the bars may not
lead to many issues, I do not see the risk during the nesting season.

I have had people see me with a scope or binoculars and walk out of their
way to see what I am doing. While I walked out, I made sure to watch where
I stepped, when they walk out, they just walk. And I can tell you from
experience, not all the nests are going to be in sections that are roped
off. I found am AMOY nest 5 feet from a freshly built sandcastle that
summer at Milford.

I can't tell you how many times somebody has seen me with "equipment" and
thought it meant there was something really cool and interesting to check
out. All it takes is that one dog walker, or that one group to come out and
see what you are doing and crush a nest or young chick on the way.

If you really need to walk out and check the area during nesting season,
nobody can stop you. There are many people who know what they are doing,
but plenty more who don't. I think we owe it to an already fragile area and
species to not push it for a few looks at some peeps.