[CT Birds] Milford Point

Kevindoyle01 kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Thu Aug 8 05:15:56 EDT 2013

To all the responsible and educated people who apparently replied to Scott's email which was a direct reply to observations over 3-4 times I was there maybe 2 hours at the most (by the I'm Kevin Doyle). 3 times i witnessed the birds from the tide line at low tide, why I was dived bombed so much the other when I was well over 150 feet from the coloney Scott it clear to me. STAY OFF.I have only birding and photographing birds for 5 years but have been taught & educated by some excellent birders who told,taught,educated me just what I'm looking at and answered what I thought were stupid questions. I was educated about the Piping Plover and Least Tern by the resident plover checker. Please forgive by remembering his name. He gave me valuable live lessons on these birds as well all shore birds ansd passing out literature. I will credit Paul Fusco for all he's advised me and also his 25 years of experience. The other the report that started this as one said, when the birds are out on the tide line at dead low tide what am I to do? I stop in my tracks don't move, photograph ... observe then move especially if the birds are upset by my presence. As I said the adults and the lone chick I saw the other day didn't care if was there or wasn't. They were being birds enjoying their freedom. In no way did I upset them as Scott assumes I have.

As many pointed out birders are respectful and knowlegable when it comes to sensitive areas.Again as noted people, dogs, cats other preying birds (Mother Nature) in the form the severe high tides surely took their toll. I can tell you from the few hours spent out there ... there maybe close to &100 other people with 95% being none birders nor educated on the plight of these birds that I've seen and if Scott needs to know close some even walking through the protected zones. I do what I can to educate just as I was and still am today that one needs to stay away as far as possible not to affect these birds. Some listen and move others reply I didn't know and thanked mevfor what LITTLE knowlege I have in CAPS while others have said who the hell are you (me) to tell me what I can and can't do. Then point to their homes. What can I do but walk away.

Scott needs to understand which I'm sure he does but my time there had very little if no affect on the lose of these birds. It's all the other human traffic that's out there when no birders are there. Joggers late in the evening or early in the morning and kids coming and horsing around at the far end of the sand where they walk across from the main land. Now at low tide there is no water as where last year and in the past there was.

I hated now to have called out Scott since he didn't call me out but
 I'm  well aware by his reply who he was talking too.

It's a shame now that it's come down to this. Not being anywhere near and expert but if people are mindful and respective of all birds and wildlife we can co-exist with each other. Birds in particular have taught me more lessons than I can count on life and cooperation. I can't help if there a few who ruin it for everyone else not just at Milford Point but all over.

I have no idea if those who replied helped me or not but for those who defened being on the Point done right won't hurt the birds, thank you.

To finish with my education on life regarding birds the ospreys whom over 5 years I'm going to guess I've spent well over 500 hours watching/photographing/observing to my knowledge are the only bird of prey to allow humans into their lives. What troubles me this year at Milford as I noted with the 19 point posting last week and what I saw the other day it troubles me greatly that this one lone chick will not survive it's migration (maybe). Through it's actions I believe it doesn't know how to catch nor where locally to find food thereby what's it going to when the adults leave and it's left on it's own? That's nature I guess keeping the situation in balance. Never-the-less that doesn't help with how I feel. I love photographing the osprey respect it"s life and how fast in such a short time life lessons need to be shown, taught, learned for the survival of future generations. Some of my best bird photography has come from the help of the ospreys now anticipating their moves after spending so many hours with them. What this has to do with the terns I have no idea other than they are birds also.

To end it was a thrill 5 years ago when the DEEP piping plover expert showed me my first pp and when the time came the newbornes, as well as last year when I saw my first oyster catcher
 chick fly and this year the very first again least tern baby. I can't begin to tell all of you how thrilled and honored to have witnessed such magical things as the birth of new born life. Where else am I to see this? I have no clue and when all the birds at Milford Point leave there is a void in my life especially the ospreys who are here for over 5 months. One day they appear and when the time comes they are gone. Looking at an empty nest knowing that it will be 6 long months before their return as ridiculous as this may sound it's
as though I've lost a good friend. Am I wrong to feel this way just as I was when I heard the terns had taken a major hit. It all upsets me since the odds are stacked highly against them to begin with.

Excuse any gramical (like) spelling I'm writing this at 4:30 am when I saw all the posts. I now awake but when I started I wasn't. Lets just hope that everyone can get along with birds, wildlife and more importantly each other as human being.

Thanks for listening.

A very sleepy Kevin Doyle from New Milford, Ct.

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch