[CT Birds] Milford birding

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Thu Aug 8 14:14:00 EDT 2013

Surely the fame of being the person to discover CT's first Mongolian Plover is worth a couple of Least Tern's and the odd Piping Plover?  The terns and plovers will be back the following year.

Both Frank, Shaun and Nick present a logical and conventional approach and, as Frank stated, it is complicated, since it is also a matter of perception – the perceived disturbance to birds. I bird Sandy Point regularly and it is way-more disturbed than Milford Point. Do those birds at Sandy Pt become more-accustomed to humans as a result? Does it affect breeding success?
 All the terns and plovers seem to do OK..or at least that is my perception – I don't have any controlled data to corroborate that. Birders birding will always have the potential to disturb birds during the course of observation. I trust Nick and other similar birders to exhibit common sense, not only because they are educated and experienced, but also because they are self-aware enough to know that some behaviors, however well-intended will be construed or perceived differently. I have flushed birds while birding and photographing..who hasn't?  But to be accused of purposefully doing it due to a lack of fieldcraft is often par for the course and is more reflective of the person than the perceived behavior. Shorebirds are hardy creatures capable of almost pole-to-pole migrations, but that doesn't mean we should disturb them unnecessarily.

PS Unless anyone missed my sarcasm, the first line is tongue in cheek..

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519