[CT Birds] Fall migrants

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Aug 10 14:41:51 EDT 2013

8/10/13: Woodbridge, Community Gardens/Fitzgerald Property:  a morning walk
in our local patch yielded a number of early fall migrants.  The birds are
definitely on the move.  Notable species included: Ruby-throated
Hummingbird, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Ovenbird, Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Scarlet Tanager,
Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Indigo Bunting.  Chipping
Sparrows and Brown-headed Cowbirds (mostly juveniles of both species) were
abundant.  One notable behavioral observation: a female (presumably
resident) hummingbird was seen harassing a gnatcatcher for an extended
period of time.  She was clearly intent on driving the gnatcatcher away from
her feeding territory.  I have always been impressed by how aggressive and
apparently fearless hummingbirds are.  They are dynamos!   Full report on

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,