[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:01:15 EDT 2013

8/14 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center  10AM-1PM.  Low tide,
68-75F, sunny, breezy

Adult female osprey on the perch at 10AM.  At 11AM it went to a mudflat,
and then the male returned with a fish, so they both went to the nest, the
male gave the female the fish, which she mantled and devoured.  There was
no sign of the juvenile all morning.
On the marsh and flying through marsh were 1000+ "peeps".....a least 200
semipalmated sandpipers scouring the marsh mud, 2 Yellowlegs, 3 yellow
crowned night herons, 3 Great Blue herons, 1 Semipalmated plover, 2 Black
bellied plovers (very mottled ), 15 Snowy egrets, 7 Great egrets, 10 Black
ducks,8 mallards, 9 Mute swans, 15 D.C. Cormorants, Ring billed & Herring
gulls. 2 Tree swallows flew by.  A woman brought in a teeny (maybe 2") baby
bird which her dog "found". It was in healthy condition. From pictures sent
to experts, possible American oystercatcher chick, or pigeon.....it's beak
was huge for the size of the baby bird.  The woman is bringing it to a
shorebird rehabilitator, so I guess we will find out what it is.
Bev Propen, Orange