[CT Birds] Milford & Bridgeport Highlights

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 15 15:07:45 EDT 2013

From Dan Rottino & Family
8/15/13- Milford Pt Coastal center --7:45am; 125 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER the highest count I have ever seen, 1 WHIMBREL flew by us, 5 RUDDY TURNSTONES are always a pleasure, 35 SNOWY EGRET also a high count for me, 1 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER and 3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 6 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT- HERON, 3 MONK PARAKEET, a few AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS, Least terns,  Sandpipers, plovers, and 5 COMMON LOON.

At the Beardsley Zoo
(A few countable species at the parking lot, etc. listed at the bottom with one notable.)

2 Andean Condor a pair
1 Turkey Vulture
1 Barred Owl
3 Northern Pintail
Possible Pintail x Mallard Hybrid?  Is that really possible?
9 Mallard
4 Duck species
2 Goose species
1 Fulvous Whistling duck
2 Cattle Egret
2 Wood Duck a pair
2 Sandhill Crane a pair, both with very faded feathering (photos taken!) both banded.
2 Bald Eagle
2 Keel-billed Toucan (1 female, 1 unknown). Photos with children.
2 Scarlet Ibis
4 Ring-tealed duck
1 White-bellied Caique- saves me the trip!!!
3 Peacocks
6 Guinea fowl
1 Common Raven
2 Swan species
2 Redhead a pair!!
1 Great Horned Owl
2 Snowy Owl - summering?
2 Barn Owl - tough to find in CT these days
2 Greater Rhea
1 North American Turkey
1 Golden Comet Chicken
1 New Hampshire