[CT Birds] Hammonasset Today

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 08:46:20 EDT 2013

At East Beach in Charlestown on August 9 there were 7,000 TREE SWALLOW and 0 other swallow species.  I tried many times over several hours to find a barn swallow to no avail.  Usually I see mixed flocks there.  Initially at 7:15am there were about 5,000 tree swallows in one large roost on the beach with 2,000 drifting over and landing on the dune shrubs and parking area.  I took photos.  We carefully counted by extrapolating.  First we counted to 10, then by tens to 100, then by 100s to 1000 thence to 5,000, etc.  We used this method several times to arrive at an accurate and perhaps conservative estimate.  Some were tired as we approached the beach very cautiously since they didn't budge and others just fluttered a short distance to re-land.  We moved slowly so as not to disturb them much as at one point they were in front of the main pathway to the beach from parking lot.  There was intermittent rain in the morning so not many people were around go disturb them.  The swallows stayed in the immediate area for hours hunkering down in the dune shrubs during the thunderstorm and flying around immediately afterwards. There may have been more up the beach but I didn't make the effort to venture there.     The kids were thrilled to be close to them and surprised but appreciative of the fact that the birds didn't flush much when approached carefully.  It was a spectacle the whole family enjoyed.

CT: Beginning on June 28 I have had small daily flights of tree swallows migrating southwards over my yard, not having seen any since late April.  Many Purple Martins (219 high count one day) and a few barn swallows as well.  They all flock to the mega marsh roosts on the lower CT river.  Many tree and barn swallows and martins seen there as well.

All of these birds up the coast from Hammo move southwards in small or large batches with some bypassing CT via Long Island.  Perhaps localized movements create gaps at times.

2c
Dan Rottino