[CT Birds] 8/16 Cockenoe Island, Westport

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 11:06:58 EDT 2013

Thanks Patrick, no worries! I can understand your frustration.

Yes, my post was just a bird report - part of an observation on the state
of tern staging/migration this year (note: NOT breeding), which seems
extremely poor. For instance, sites that usually hold moderate to large
numbers of dispersed/staging/migrating Common Terns (Milford Pt, Sandy Pt,
Cockenoe) are holding very small numbers currently.

The apparent lack of local prey noted near Milford Pt and around Cockenoe
Island may or may not have something to do with this, but one would assume
that food supply would have an effect, perhaps a major one. From what I
understand from the fishing community, both via my own observations, local
contacts, and internet reports, small baitfish numbers continue to be lower
than average along the immediate CT coast of the central/western Long
Island Sound, but much better in the middle and on the NY side of the sound.

I'm hoping the small bait situation changes along our coast for birding as
well as autumn fishing purposes! :)

Nick