[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet tree removal

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Wed Aug 14 20:52:41 EDT 2013

Anna Mariotti, my friend and neighbor, passed on the following to me.
A very large, old tree in the tree strip near 75 Sea St will unfortunately have to be cut down, probably on Friday. This is the tree with quite a few parakeet nests in it.

A few weeks ago a power line snapped and fell into the street (many of us lost power). When this happened, it electrocuted the tree and it is very quickly deteriorating to the point where it was inspected and deemed to be dangerous (it could fall and hurt someone in the immediate future). United Illuminating is responsible, under state law, for removing the tree.

It is hoped they will likely rebuild nests nearby quickly, but wanted to let people know,

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519