[CT Birds] Endangered Az birding site - Paton's Birder haven

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Aug 15 23:07:52 EDT 2013

Thanks for the heads-up  on Paton's Ken, my check is  already in the mail
(or at least the mail box waiting for my trusty mail  lady).
I've been there at least two, maybe three times (first  trip  to  Blue
Heaven Road was with a guide, can't remember if we  stopped at Paton's or not).
It is certainly a must-do location for any birder  planning a trip to
southeastern AZ. I did get my life Plain-capped Starthroat  there, and a bird that
was pointed out to me as a female Violet-crowned Hummer  as well, although
I later got a Starthroat and a  male Violet -crowned on  the same day at
Mary-jo's Ash Canyon BnB.
I also got my worst case of chiggers ever in Patagonia, so be  prepared if
you do go. Itched for weeks.
That whole area is really just one big IBA, with all sorts  of
southeastern AZ specialties and Mexican vagrants. Best place I know of  for Gray Hawk -
should see or at least hear several. Saw one from Paton's yard.  I cannot
imagine letting that property pass out of the hands of the
birding/conservation community.

Don  Morgan