[CT Birds] Hammonasset Today

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Fri Aug 16 17:02:39 EDT 2013

Just throwing this out for discussion: I took a group of students to Hammonasset Beach State Park today as I have been doing for about thirty years. Usually on or about this date, there are large flocks of swallow congregating as they prepare for migration at the end of this month.  Today we saw exactly two swallows. For you butterfly enthusiasts, we saw exactly one monarch. We usually can expect 100+ about now.

The monarch situation has been much discussed and is not unexpected.  The tree swallows were a surprise  Anyone care to comment?

Jay Kaplan