[CT Birds] Purple Martins in Hebron, CT

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Sat Aug 17 21:16:49 EDT 2013

Raymond Brook Marsh, Hebron, CT, 08/17/13 5:00 PM: On a late afternoon walk
along the Airline Trail across the marsh I noted abundant swallow activity
which is normal for the location and time of year. However, tonight there
were about 30 PURPLE MARTINS on the dead trees on the south side with the
usual few dozen barn and tree swallows that are the residents of the marsh.
At first I didn't realize what they were until the wind was right and I
heard sounds that I normally associate with CACC or Hammonasset's Swan Pond.

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT