[CT Birds] 8/17 Griswold Pt

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 23:22:23 EDT 2013

This afternoon at Griswold Pt from low to mid-tide, the only terns present
were 4 flyby Commons. Pretty amazing the scarcity of staging COTE currently
along the CT coast. I wonder what the small bait situation is like near the
mouth of the CT River - I'm not up on that part of the state's waters. The
shorebirds and waders were nice though - highlights being a juvenile

Also, as there has been a lot of discussion regarding tern disturbance at
places like Milford Pt, one positive this year was the breach at the base
of Griswold Pt by Hurricane Sandy (and/or winter storms). This limits
pedestrian access to Gris Pt to low-mid tide, keeping people away from the
Least Tern colony at high tide, which is the worst time to walk out there
since the high water forces people closer to the terns. Does anyone know
how the Leasties did at the Gris this year with what must have been the
least amount of human disturbance that place has seen in years?

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT