[CT Birds] Questions on feeding birds

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:43:14 EDT 2013

I also used to feed the birds year round, but now I stop feeding seeds in
the summer, thinking as you do that they have ample more appropriate food
sources available.  I do feed the hummingbirds (two feeders on opposite
sides of the house to lessen "hummer wars') and I also continue to feed
suet in my upside down suet feeder, simply for my own pleasure, as I love
seeing the baby woodpeckers.  Statistics I have seen report that birds only
get about 25% of their food from feeders and I hope that is true.  I have
replanted our property with bird friendly shrubs in hopes that they also
use these food sources, which they seem to do.  I always have a fresh water
source running all year as open fresh water is essential for them and is
sometimes in short supply.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut