[CT Birds] Massive Purple Martin Flight

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 10:19:18 EDT 2013

Hi Dan.
Purple Martin are staging every evening at the mouth of the CT River right now the same way Tree Swallows do in September. I think what you may be seeing is Martins on their way to the staging area after being out and about on the river feeding all day. When I lived in Lyme I saw this movement of Martin also in mid August and then later in Sept tree swallows would fly over my house by the 1,000's every evening on their way to Goose Island for the nightly Swallow roost.

Bill Yule