[CT Birds] New Yardbird

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 19:57:44 EDT 2013

I looked out my front door about 7:20 tonight And saw two birds  flying due
west, quite high. As I watched three more followed them. I grabbed a  pair
of bins and confirmed what I thought: Nighthawks. I counted a total of 12
over a 10 minute period, but I suspect quite a few more may have gone over
earlier and the last ones were stragglers. They were at least 300 feet high,
maybe more, and flying due west in about as straight a line as I've ever
seen  them. I was really surprised by the fact that all but a couple flew
directly  over my house. Last bird around 7:30.

New yardbird of course and the first I've seen in the immediate  area. Now
I wish I'd gone over to the Natchaug River in Eagleville (Mansfield).  There
are very large flights there that seem to follow the river south. I once
counted 250 in a single flock.

Yesterday I had the first Pileated Woodpecker in my yard that  I've seen
there in about a year. Heard him first across the street, then he flew  into
one of my trees and started pounding away.  Also saw a bird I was  almost
sure was a warbler, but didn't see enough to ID it. I seldom have  warblers in
the yard.

I still have quite a few hummers, and some that I'm sure are  migrants. The
birds that have been here continue to use the feeders,  which are still
going down fast, but I've seen several in my flowers,  including Hibiscus and
Butterfly bush.  I always assume that at this time  of year that they are
migrants and don't know where the feeders are. I  have a Downy Woodpecker in
the neighborhood that is calling constantly, and the  other day a whole bunch
of Chickadees mobbing my nyger feeders. When one tried  to figure out how
to eat from a hummer feeder I knew that most of them were  fledglings,
probably being led by the parents to the food.

Don  Morgan
Coventry