[CT Birds] Eagleville Nighthawks, Swifts (Mansfield)

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Aug 25 20:49:36 EDT 2013

The movement of Nighhawks along the Natchaug River through  Eagleville
continues, although there were not nearly as many as last night. I  estimate
about 65 for the night between 6:45 and 7:55 PM. As always, very hard  to tell
because there were birds going both north and south, although  predominantly
south, and a large number were still hawking insects at low level  over the
lake when I left at 7:55.

One striking difference tonight was the presence of hoards of  Chimney
Swifts. I counted three yesterday; tonight I estimate 150 to 200 and  very
possibly a lot more. They were also feeding but drifting consistently  south.

There were more shorebirds on the mudflats at the north end of  the lake,
and I saw several Yellowlegs tonight. At one point a kayaker got too  close
and put up 30 or 40, but they all settled right back down. A lot of
shorebird traffic back and forth up and down the lake, too. It seems the water  is
still going down, and more mud is visible now.

Don  Morgan
Coventry