[CT Birds] Whimbrel, Forster's Tern, and Little Blue Heron

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 25 21:35:20 EDT 2013

8/25/13: in Westbrook, in the Menunketesuck River Marsh and on Menunketesuck
Island: one WHIMBREL,  3 FORSTER'S TERNS, and a total of 20 LITTLE BLUE
HERON.  My wife and I kayaked down the river this afternoon just past high
tide and out to the island.  We thought it would be fun to count how many
fish-eating species of birds we saw on the trip.  We saw ten.  In order of
appearance they were: Osprey, Belted Kingfisher, Snowy Egret, Little Blue
Heron, Great Egret, Double-crested Cormorant, Common Tern, Forster's Tern,
Least Tern, and Green Heron.  It is interesting to see how many species take
advantage of a food source in a particular area.  We didn't include species
that eat dead fish (such as gulls and crows).  We also counted shorebird
species on the trip: we saw eleven.  The highlight was the Whimbrel, spotted
at the north end of the island around 6 pm.  It may still be there tomorrow.
If anyone wants to look for the bird, I suggest going to the flats at low
tide to see if it is feeding with the other shorebirds.  The Forster's Terns
were roosting and feeding in the company of Common Terns at the south end of
the island.  Most of the Little Blue Herons were in the marsh, in two
separate flocks. There was a remarkable number of Least Sandpipers in the
marsh as well. All in all, it was a very pleasant paddle.

Full report on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge