[CT Birds] classic clash; lotta Gnats; Least Bittern

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 14:14:40 EDT 2013

>From Greg Hanisek, Bill Banks, Bruce Finnan
8/19 New Haven, Lighthouse Point - arrived 7 a.m. and almost immediately saw an Osprey carrying a fish over the harbor; then an ad. Bald Eagle came into view flapping steadily on a line toward the Osprey; covering about a quarter-mile, it overtook the Osprey; it dove on the Osprey, forcing it to drop the fish (looked like a good-sized Bunker) then the eagle snatched the fish out of the air.
Migration was highlighted by the biggest flight we've seen there of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, a conservative total of 45; this is one of many phenomenon observable at Lightouse and nowhere else that I know of; gnatcatchers continue flying through well into the morning, sometimes quite high; it's not unusual to have 10 or so at this time of year and into early Sept., but today were were seeing little flocks of 3 to 5 at a time, plus a few in the woods; they look sort of ridiculous at 200 feet or so.
Other passage migrants of note: 3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds; 250 Chimney Swifts; 16 Eastern Kingbirds; 70 Barn Swallows; 15 Tree Swallows; 4 Bank Swallows; 10 Purple Martins;  70 Cedar Waxwings; 15 Bobolinks; 95 Red-winged Blackbirds.
Migrants in the park included an Empid, a Great Crested Flycatcher, a Warbling Vireo, a Red-eyed Vireo and 3 Black-and-White Warblers. A group of 70 Laughing Gulls flew by heading east and we ended up with 110.
East Haven, Proto Drive - LEAST BITTERN calling in marsh adjacent to airport; migrants in the edge vegetation included an Eastern Wood-pewee, an empid, a Warbling Vireo, A Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, an American Redstart, 2 Yellow Warblers; 3 Indigo Buntings and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak