[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey update August 21

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 23:46:00 EDT 2013

Humid & Hot in the am - Visit 10:30 - 12:00.

Observed one young on a branch to the right of the nest. Underneath on a lower branch was a cormorant. Young stayed the entire time I was there.
Parents as usual were in overlooks in treeline.
Male defended the pond area from two Ospreys that came into the area, then, to make a point, landed on the nest for a short while.
A second young flew in from a nearby branch that I had not seen, and landed to the far right of the Island on the shoreline.
The second young was very active looking about. It's head went from side to side looking straight ahead, most of the time looking at the surface of the water, although one time made the same motions looking at me. Is this an effort to improve binocular vision? The other young was not at all active. Appeared to be sleeping while the second was quite active.
A Kingfisher flew into the area.

pix @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-adolescents-august-2013.html