[CT Birds] Waterford BC Night Herons

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Thu Aug 22 16:17:02 EDT 2013

Waterford side of Niantic River

I was taking a local walk today in the Niantic River and Bay area and was overjoyed to see 5 adult Black-crowned Night Herons all roosting in the same tree, 1 Green Heron, and 1 Great Blue Heron.  The birds were all along the pond and marsh area that is behind the Niantic Bay Boat Valet and is adjacent to the railroad bridge over the bay.

I was so happy to see these birds, not so much that they were unusual but moreso because this area has been a mess since construction on a new railroad bridge started four years ago.  Not only was this area torn apart but it was inaccessible for the most part.    So I have been very grateful to be able to get back to walking around this area which has in the past  been good not only for herons but also for migrating passerines, Virginia Rails, and ducks.

Just letting everyone know that this spot is no longer out of commission!

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPad