[CT Birds] Seymour Nighthawks

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Aug 25 20:29:03 EDT 2013

The Stop & Shop in Seymour is along the Naugatuck River, has a good view of the sky, and commonly has Chimney Swifts in the evening, so I thought I would give it a try for Common Nighthawks.  I arrived at 7 PM, and the swifts were already numerous but hard to count.  My guesstimate was 30 to 50+ peak count for the evening.

The first three Common Nighthawks arrived around 7:18 and by 7:25 the count was up to ten.  One more came through at 7:35, then the last four came in quick succession from 7:44 to 7:47, just as the swifts disappeared.  All but the last (15th) nighthawk were just flying through without any changes of direction.  That last nighthawk was flying to feed, veering all around for a bit before disappearing south like all the rest had.  I stayed until 8 PM.  (I also had one bat.)

In the morning, at Osbornedale, I had the two Blue Grosbeaks reported yesterday by Maria Stockmal a few days ago.  Thanks, Maria!

 From Roy Harvey:
08/25/13 - Seymour, Stop & Shop plaza -- 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM -- 15 Common Nighthawks.
Derby, Osbornedale State Park -- 7:00 to 9:00 AM; 2 Blue Grosbeaks.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT