[CT Birds] Semipalmated or Western?

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 27 12:58:55 EDT 2013

Mark,
It looks to me like a classic Western Sandpiper juvenile.  The legs are dark, the wings are long, but do not project past the tail (the way White-rumped or Baird's would), The face is quite pale, as is the breast. The pattern in the feathers of the scapulars and the wing coverts is wrong for Semipalmated. There appears to clearly be a rusty area on the upper scapulars, as juv Westerns would show.  The bill looks too long for Semipalmated, and while not clearly drooped, it is very broad at the base.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford