[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule of Activities in September

Larry Bausher lpbausher at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 16:58:00 EDT 2013

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during
September:

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, September 12, 2013 — Frank Mantlik, Confusing Fall
Warblers. Free and open to the public.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts
Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden, CT. This month we’re offering
a two-part remedy for the “Fall Warbler Blues.” These beloved birds
awe us in the spring with their thrilling colors and songs, but
identifying them can be a very different story in fall migration when
these very same species seem like different birds altogether. But
help is at hand! Our speaker tonight is Frank Mantlik, one of CT’s
top birders and skilled bird trip leaders, including many trips led
for NHBC. He’ll give lessons and tips on handling IDs of these
confusing fall birds. A UConn grad, Frank is a widely-published bird
photographer, a past president of the COA, and is on its board and
Avian Records Committee. He has worked for the US Fish & Wildlife
Service and recently retired from the US Postal Service. He now
happily has time to bird nearly full-time and leads US and
international bird tours for Sunrise Birding
(www.sunrisebirding.com).  Plus a BONUS! After tonight’s
instructional lecture, you can further hone your fall warbler skills
on a field trip just 2 days later. (See Outdoor Trip description for
Sat., Sept. 14).  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.
For more information call 203-230-1697 or visit
www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

Daily Hawk Watch at Lighthouse Point Park.  September 1 to November
30, 2013.  Free and open to the public.  Lighthouse Point Park on New
Haven Harbor is one of the premier locations in southern New England
for observing migrating raptors as well as a wide variety of
songbirds. The watch starts daily at 7:00 am and continues as long as
the hawks keep flying. Stop by anytime.  Coordinator— Steve Mayo:
203.393.0694, rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net

First Wednesday Walk : CT Audubon Coastal Center, Milford.
Wednesday, September 4, 2013, 8 am.  Free and open to the public.
Join us as we look for shorebirds, terns, and fall migrants at this
excellent local birding location. Ten to fifteen shorebird species
are possible.  Bring a scope if you have one.  Leader: Renee Baade.
Contact person—Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.
For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Fitzgerald Property and Community Gardens, Woodbridge.  Saturday,
September 14, 2013, 7:00 am.  Frank Mantlik will be giving a talk on
identifying fall warblers at the monthly meeting on Thursday,
September 12.  We’ll be following up on that talk and applying what
we learned as we look in the fields and woods at this fine local
birding location for fall warblers and other passerines. Meet at the
gravel parking lot at the entrance to the property on Beecher Road,
about 2/10 mile south of Center Road (Route 114).  Leaders: Chris
Loscalzo and Judy Moore.  Contact person: Chris Loscalzo: 203
389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Sandy Point “Important Bird Area” Clean Up, West Haven.  Saturday,
September 21, 2013, 9:00 am to noon.  The New Haven Bird Club will
participate in a beach cleanup at Sandy Point IBA in West Haven as
part of the Ocean Conservancy’s “International Coastal Cleanup Day,”
captained locally by Save the Sound/Dr. Bob Marra. The cleanup will
help prevent predators, attracted by trash, from becoming accustomed
to visiting Sandy Point, one of the most important sites in CT for
Piping Plovers and other beach-nesting bird species. Please bring
work  gloves, sunscreen, and water. Meet at the Savin Rock parking
lot on Beach St. (immediately east of Chick’s Restaurant/ 183 Beach
St., next to the skate park).  Come for all or part of the time.
Contact: Craig Repasz: 203-230-1697 or crepasz at hotmail.com.

Migration Festival at Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven.  Sunday,
September 22, 2013, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.  This festive event is
sponsored by the New Haven Parks Dept., the NHBC, and other fine
organizations. There will be hawk watching, bird banding demos, a
live raptor display, bird walks, and other activities. Check the
newspaper and club newsletter for more details. Organizer—Ranger Dan
Barvir: 203.946.6086. For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director