[CT Birds] Southern subspecies of Red-shouldered Hawk, Shelton

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:05:55 EDT 2013

This morning, there was a southern subspecies of Red-shouldered hawk
perched on a power line transmission tower in Shelton.  The first thing
which I noticed about the bird was its' extremely small size as compared to
the nominate subspecies, lineatus, which is what we normally see here.
Beyond that, the bird had a very whitish head, fairly wide white tail bars
and quite a bit of red on the upper back. I have seen southern
Red-shoulders  near the S.Carolina/Georgia border along the coast and I do
recall them as being smaller, but not as small as this bird was today.
Unfortunately, I could not get the "subspecies" feature to work  on eBird,
so I did not make an entry and post a photo.

I am not sure as to whether the bird was a "clean" southern subspecies or a
mix of lineatus and a more southern subspecies, such as the Florida race. I
tend to think that it was a clean subspecies, due to its' extremely small
size.

Charlie Barnard Jr
Stratford, Ct