[CT Birds] Cabelas Western SP NOT

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 18:05:27 EDT 2013

FYI  --  this bird reported by me yesterday was determined by a number of witnesses and experts to be a beautifully plumaged LEAST SANDPIPER with rich upperparts and grayish looking or even muddy legs.  Probably the most photographed least sp in CT.  One thing that threw me off was it looked larger than a least normally does when it stood next to a killdeer. Also, I usually see leasts running around on mudflats not roosting peacefully on rocks for hours.  Others have been reporting a variety of shorebirds here and in the area so they are all worthy of careful and scholarly study.

Someone sent me this link on comparing the small peeps which is very helpful.  I don't think he would mind me sharing it since we all need to be on the lookout for those ELUSIVE Westerns!!!  Sincerely,  Dan

http://www.twobirdersandbinoculars.com/how-to-tell-apart-least-semipalmated-and-western-sandpipers/