[CT Birds] Oswegatchie Hills, E. Lyme

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sat Aug 31 13:13:27 EDT 2013

This morn Linda Vegliante and I hiked the yellow trail in the Oswegatchie Hills Preserve in E. Lyme which borders on the upper Niantic River.

This is our second or third walk there and all our data is being recorded on the Oswegatchie Hills hotspot site on eBird.  Glenn sent out an email earlier this week detailing why we are trying to gather data about this area, mainly to have it declared as an IBA.

Here is a list of the highlights from our walk this morn:

1 Wood Thrush
5 Red-eyed Vireos
1 Yellow-throated Vireo
1 Redstart
1 Baltimore Oriole
5 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
100 Tree Swallows
1 No. Flicker
4 Downy Woodpeckers

In addition to the above there were many Chickadees, Titmice, Nuthatches, Robins, Carolina Wrens, and several Catbirds.

Hopefully a few other local birds and perhaps some of you from further away can try to get there later this month when more migrants or post dispersal birds may be going thru.   It is an easy walk, quite hilly, but a beautiful trail that deadends at a cliff area which looks out onto a small treed valley.  We had a lot of our birds at this spot.

Carolyn Cimino with LInda Vegliante
Waterford and East Lyme

Sent from my iPad