[CT Birds] Injured Mourning Dove

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 14:01:57 EDT 2013

Many, many thanks to those of you who e-mailed me with information.

I put the dove in a well ventilated cat carrier lined with an old towel,
and put that in my basement, away from my three indoor cats.
Later I put a plastic jar lid full of water in the carrier.  This morning
the dove was still alert, although I don't think any water was taken.

After leaving messages and e-mails with several places last night, I got a
call early this morning from Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital, and was
able to bring the bird right over.  They were very nice.  They took the
bird into the back, and came out with a brief report based on a quick
check:  the bird was missing a lot of tail and lower back feathers, but
more were already growing in, so they think that injury was a week or more
old.  However, there was a fresh laceration across its neck.  They think
the bird first  had an encounter with a predator, probably a cat, and was
able to lay low for some days, but was then attacked again yesterday.  Why
didn't the cat finish her off?  My theory is that I  interrupted the attack
when I came home, and that's why the bird was flopping around out in the
open on my lawn.

The bird rehabbers said the bird would have been able to recover from the
first attack, but they  can't make any promises about the chance of
recovery from the laceration.  Depending on how bad it is, the bird may
have to be euthanized.  "At least it won't die in agony from another
attack, or be consumed alive by insects," they said.

Very nice folks, interesting place. I was prepared to make a donation, but
nobody asked me, and they were very very busy, so I didn't get a chance to
offer.

I am a cat lover, but my cats STAY INDOORS.  Better for the birds,
chipmunks, baby rabbits, and other wildlife in our yard. Also better for
the CATS!!!

Katherine Kuckens