[CT Birds] post about strange seagull behavior

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Aug 31 21:07:29 EDT 2013

Hi Dave and Mary, That is certainly unusual. I have watched Gulls do
this in the wet sand along the edge of the water searching for Mole
Crabs and Sand Shrimp. It usually starts with tamping its feet in one
place while the water is washing the loosened sand away....like "gold
panning". When the Mole Crab is exposed it will grab it and repeat the
process. This was the first time I have seen a Gull do this in dry
sand using its bill in a sweeping motion while its bill is open to
grasp a prey item. It reminds me of a Roseate Spoonbill feeding
motion. It is obviously a food searching behavior, but what food item
would be tough to guess. I will have to watch your video a few more
times and try and figure it out.

Thanks for posting the video.

Regards,

Keith Mueller