[CT Birds] Photos of southern subspecies of Red-shouldered Hawk

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:46:53 EDT 2013

Good job getting photos, charlie. Not claiming to be a pro on these but questions are:

More red in in upper back not just on shoulders....?

My  local red-shoulders are in various stages of molt and wear. Can the pale head be attributed to bleaching or wear?

If the head were normally colored, would the bird look as different in other aspects?

Again, just asking and again, nice job on the documentation. Are there any records of extimus away from its breeding range?