[CT Birds] Photos of southern subspecies of Red-shouldered Hawk

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:57:33 EDT 2013

Brian Webster (he lives in range of "extimus" now and was a really good
hawkwatcher at Boothe Memorial in Stratford) tells me that some of those
extimus do have red on the upper back which sometimes forms a "V", not just
restricted to the "shoulders." So that would fit. As to other features, I
think the diminutive size is important. Take a look at the bird as compared
to the other Red-shoulder perched on the tower. It looks way smaller. I
know of no other records of extimus this far North, but there is a first
time for everything. This bird was definitely smaller than the birds which
I saw north of Florida in South Carolina. It was also paler.