[CT Birds] Vesper Sparrows? Bridgewater/Roxbury Town Line Rd. (Litchfield Co.)

Todd Olson gothamdweller at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 14:33:30 EDT 2013

I saw a small flock (~ 8) of sparrows with white tail edges feeding on
gravel road shoulder of Town Line Road where it bisects Bridgewater Land
Trust, between   signs indicating "Jane Pratt Preserve, Bridgewater Land
Trust"  and "Meadowsweet Farm".   Behavior like chippies.  Possible
alternative would be fledged Juncos, but vocalizations thinner, not
Junco-like.  Surrounding landscape of mown hayfield and cow pasture.  Also
seen (well and definitively): two Merlin hunting low around field edges,
flyover Bobolinks, and flyover Osprey.  I don't wish to string along folks
with an erroneous report of VeSp, but birdy area worth investigating.