[CT Birds] Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society Fall events

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Tue Sep 3 18:22:31 EDT 2013

Dear CT Birders,

The following is a list of Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society events for this fall.  All events are free and open to the public.

Sunday, Sept. 8th, 7:30am  - Bird Walk at the old Meriden Landfill (see below for directions). Led by Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe

Sunday Sept. 15th, 7:30am - Bird Walk at Red Bridge (starts at Hanover Pond, see below for directions). Led by Melissa Baston.
			       - Open Day at Riverbound Farm Nature Center, 11am - 4pm (See below for directions).

Sunday, Sept. 22nd, 7:30am - Bird Walk at the old Meriden Landfill.  Led by Eric Eichorn.

Sunday Sept. 29th, 7:30am - Bird Walk at the old Meriden Landfill (led by Melissa Baston).  Riverbound Farm Nature Center will be open from 12:30pm-5:30pm.

Sunday, Oct. 6th, 7:30am - Bird Walk at Red Bridge (starts at Hanover Pond). Led by Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe.

Saturday Oct. 12th - The Big Sit at Hanover Pond, All day (rain date Oct. 13th).  Starting at sunrise, we will be counting bird species from our Big Sit circle located along the shore of Hanover Pond on Oregon Rd.  You never know what you will see. Stop by and help us break last year's record of 50 species.  Park in the lot adjacent to the QRWA building.

Sunday Oct. 20th - Open Day at Riverbound Farm Nature Center 11am - 4pm.

Sunday Nov. 17th - What is the Christmas Bird Count? 12pm - 1pm at Riverbound  Farm.  QVAS Co-compilers Melissa Baston and Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe will give a short talk on the history of the CBC and what we can learn about birds from it.  Then we will start planning for this year's count. The Nature Center will be open from 11am - 4pm.

Sat. Dec. 14th - QVAS Christmas Bird Count - We will be out counting birds throughout the day.  Participants can count the birds at their feeders or join a team counting birds at local parks.  You can count birds for a just an hour or two or all day.  Contact Melissa (203-955-0656, mbaston at gbinocularsmail.com) or Corrie (203-630-9640, cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org) if you would like to participate.

Riverbound Farm Sanctuary - located at 1881 Cheshire Street, Cheshire, CT
Red Bridge - Meet at the parking area next to the QRWA building at Hanover Pond on Oregon Road, Meriden, CT
Old Meriden Landfill - Heading south on Evansville Ave. in South Meriden, CT, meet about ¼ mile past the entrance to Meriden Markham Airport.

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe

Education Chair
Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society
Meriden, CT