[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 4 20:40:32 EDT 2013

The flight at Bluff Point this morning was not stunning, but not too bad either.  I recorded ~450 warblers of 12.5 species, plus a nice spattering of other birds.  As mentioned earlier, the highlight was a stunning Brewster's warbler - almost pure white below with only a very pale lemony wash on the breast.  It was not seen at the hot corner, but in the bushes just off the trail near the old brush pile site (there are gravel piles there now; if you don't know the site, this short deadend side trail can be a bit tricky to find), so I suppose it might stick around.

Other migrants included: eastern kingbird (1), great-crested fly (4), eastern peewee (8), Empid sp. (probably leasts) (2), white-eyed vireo (4, probably local breeders), warbling vireo (1), red-eyed vireo (12), blue-gray gnatcatcher (5), veery (6), Catharus sp. (3), house wren (1), unidentified warbler (320), American redstart (108), ovenbird (2), parula (4), black-throated blue (1), black-throated green (1), magnolia (8), black-and-white (3), blue-winged (1), prairie (3), yellow (2), common yellowthroat (8), northern waterthrush (3), rose-breasted grosbeak (3), scarlet tanager (3), bobolink (80, probably more as early on we could only hear them adn couldn't gauge numbers).

This list just comes from what I saw - I'm sure I missed stuff, so maybe others who were present can fill in any major holes.

Not sure what Dave or Glenn thinks, but my sense is that tomorrow has a chance of being OK though the overnight winds look like they won't be northerly enough.  Right now Friday looks a bit more promising.  Of course, my prognostications are nearly always wrong ....

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net