[CT Birds] Hummingbird migration

Margaret Smith aloyisius at charter.net
Thu Sep 5 07:56:05 EDT 2013

I have many hummers busy at my feeders, but I am pretty sure they are not the ones who have been here all summer.  Their behavior at the feeders is quite different - not confident, not using the same holes as my regulars, keeping a wary eye on me. They even keep trying one feeder that I rarely fill because my regulars don't care for it.  They're sitting on different branches in the trees than my regulars, though I do think I still have one relaxed female sticking around in the bush right by my deck. I've strengthened the solution in the feeders, thanks to a tip from Angela Dimmitt at a talk she gave at the Watson's Bird Store in Kent. The birds love it - they're draining the feeders rapidly.

Marge Smith, Kent