[CT Birds] Re Steve Mayo's comments on Hawk watches inland.

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 10 11:42:49 EDT 2013

Re Steve Mayo's comments on Hawk watches inland.

YES - end of this week looks real good for hawks passing through CT. The day after a cold front passes through is the best, esp if the winds are anywhere from the North. For those who want to visit any hawk-watching sites inland, their are those mentioned by Steve. My main site for over 40 years here near my home in Harwinton is Johnycake Mt in Burlington CT. We have had the Hartford Audubon Hawk Watch trips there for over 30 plus years in the past, but due to some development of this wonderful hill top site recently - "With the owner saying to us through the years he would never develop this hill top ever" (money talks) he has begun to do so. I canceled the organized trips here 4 years ago, but do go there occasionally in September myself with some friends. If you might be interested to spend a day there during the peak season-(now) - please E me and i will let you know when we will be there and how to get there. It is a beautiful part of CT, and it has
 seen some of the best Hawk movements in CT through the years.
I believe we will be up there this Friday the 13th weather permitting, and you are welcome to join us.
ps - Most of us that man Johnycake are retired, so we can go there quickly any day that shows a good movement is possible.

You can E mail me at: carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net to get directions and a reply to when we will be up there.

Also: The Hartford Audubon has two Hawkwatches coming up this coming week as well. Sat the 14th and mid week Wed the 18th at Booth Hill West Hartland. This is one of the first Hawk watching sites maned in CT, and has had some of the best hawk count days ever. Plus we see many other birds passing through this deep wooded area as well. I also guide this trip, so E me if you would like to attend. Beginners and visiters are welcome!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton