[CT Birds] Sad news - Don O'Brien

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Tue Sep 10 21:45:57 EDT 2013

Dear Friends,

I am writing to share the sad news that Donal O'Brien died Sunday at his home in New Canaan.  Don leaves an enduring conservation legacy both here in Connecticut and across the country. He was a gracious leader who served on National Audubon Society's board for 25 years, 15 of those as chair, was a founding director and former chair of the American Bird Conservancy, chair of Governor Weicker's Task Force on Hunting and Public Safety, a 23-year member of the Connecticut Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ), its chair from 1996 to 2004, and so much more. An avid birder, decoy carver, waterfowl hunter and fisherman, Don was also a passionate conservation "warrior" who believed in the power of public policy to effect positive change. Above all, Don was a generous friend and mentor to so many who had the good fortune to work (and bird) with him over the years. A link to his obituary is below:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stamfordadvocate/obituary.aspx?n=Donal-OBrien&pid=166900241#fbLoggedOut

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 cell (Best)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 fax
www.audubonct.org

Audubon Connecticut, the state organization of the National Audubon Society, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using education, science and conservation, and legislative advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature education centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local, volunteer chapters, we seek to connect people with nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.