[CT Birds] CACC + Orange crows

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 13:56:20 EDT 2013

9/11 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center  10am-1PM, low tide
rising, sunny, 82-93F
a total of 4 juvenile YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERONS, 1 was presumably sunning
itself on the edge of the phragmites-wings spread out, head tilted up and
bill open-it reminded me of a yoga pose.
10 SNOWY EGRETS, 2 GREAT EGRETS, MUTE SWANS, 200+ PEEPS-BLACKBELLIED
PLOVERS, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS-feeding on the
mudflats with a mixed group of 3 GREATER YELLOW LEGS,  MANY RING BILLED &
HERRING GULLS & 3 LAUGHING GULLS, MALLARDS, AM. BLACK DUCKS. Some of
the group was running around in circles in the shallow waters-feeding. Mud
flats covered with Fiddler crabs. Blue jays & Cardinals in bushes.
Yesterday evening around 6PM there were about 100 American Crows sitting on
the wires paralleling along the Boston Post Rd in Orange, (approaching
Lambert Rd)-lots of calling.
I glanced up as I drove by there slowly, and noticed that in the middle of
these crows was
one medium sized  hawk (with a dark brown band across its chest).
Presumably the crows were making sure the hawk didn't eat one of them.
Bev Propen, Orange