[CT Birds] cleanest house sparrows

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 12:39:19 EDT 2013

9/12  Orange backyard
This year there has been a bumper crop of house sparrows in my yard  (not
so good).
I have counted 15 juveniles.  They are attracted to my  small shallow bird
bath on the deck railing , into which they squeeze 6 house sparrows,
bathing,splashing and emptying the water  and making a mess.  I am
refilling my bird bath(s) about 3 times daily.  Although they are cute in
the bird bath, they are definitely crowding out my other resident birds.
The downies, Red bellied woodpeckers and juvenile cardinals seem to hold
their own against the barrage of house sparrows.  But the house finches and
goldfinches get intimidated.
The Coopers Hawk made a return to my yard, and hopefully he won't get any
of my other birds, but it is welcome to take a few house sparrows.
Bev Propen, Orange