[CT Birds] Forest Management & Logging Presentation

SOPHIE ZYLA sophiezyla at snet.net
Thu Sep 12 17:26:08 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Naugatuck Valley Audubon Society has a program on Forest Management which may be of interest. If you have questions let me know or visit our Facebook Page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naugatuck-Valley-Audubon-Society/453934051317408

Sophie Zyla
Beacon Falls

Forest
Management and Logging
in
Naugatuck State Forest

Program:Tuesday, 9/17/2013 7:00 PM at Kellogg Environmental
Center,                   500
Hawthorne Avenue, Derby
&
Forest Hike: Saturday, 9/21/2013 9-10:30 AM
Naugatuck State Forest(end of Hunter’s Road, Naugatuck)

Do you have concerns
about the logging you see in area forests? Questions you would like to ask about
forest invasive species threats such as the emerald ash borer and disease
outbreaks? Curious how foresters juggle timber harvesting, prescribed burns and
fire suppression, wildlife habitat, watershed protection, and recreation? Join
us for a presentation by Connecticut Certified Forester Jerry Milne and learn
about sustainable forest management practices in Naugatuck State Forest and
what the challenges and threats are to forest health. During the hike (rain or
shine) Jerry will point out areas of prior forest management activities such as
timber harvests, firewood cutting, prescribed burns, exotic invasive plant
control, research plots, and whatever else we discover.

Under Jerry’s direct
management are: Naugatuck State Forest, Pootatuck State Forest, Paugussett
State Forest, Mattatuck State Forest, People’s State Forest, American Legion
State Forest, and Centennial Watershed State Forest.

Jerry Milne has
worked at DEEP since 1981 and presently supervises two other foresters in the
management of 75,000 acres of Western Connecticut state lands. Jerry is a
member of the Society of American Foresters, has a B.S. in Forestry from SUNY
College of Environmental Science and Forestry, and he was the Plymouth Inland
Wetlands Commission Chair for nine years.

Suggested
Donation for programs: Nonmembers $5/adult, NVAS members $3, under 12 free.