[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/15

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 15 10:49:22 EDT 2013

from Tom Auer, Jake Musser, John Oshlick, and Glenn Williams:
9/15/13 - Groton, Bluff Point State Park -- CAPE MAY WARBLER, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, 3 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, BROWN THRASHER, BOBOLINKS; approximately 1500 warblers of 19 warbler species

It was the first excellent day of the season at Bluff Point.  Once again, there was little wind at dawn but enough of a northerly wind component developed for a good morning flight.   The loss of trees at the hot corner may be creating a positive situation.  Today, many birds hung around and fed at the corner before heading off.  A good amount of morning light is hitting the tangles below the formerly more heavily treed area and the birds lingered there.  I suspect that this won't matter when the winds are blowing stronger, but I can't remember ever having so many birds hanging around and giving excellent looks at the hot corner.

We were a Philadelphia Vireo short of seeing all of the vireos (still getting a handful of Warbling Vireos, generally uncommon at the hot corner and very rare by mid-September).  There was an interesting mix of early and late birds.  As expected, redstarts were the most numerous birds, followed by parulas.  Birds more expected later in the season included Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-headed Vireo, etc.

Glenn Williams
Mystic