[CT Birds] Norwalk Terns,Willets, Least Bittern plus

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 19:56:51 EDT 2013

I spent this very warm afternoon with AJ and Sue Hand on their boat exploring Cockenoe Island in Westport, the Norwalk Islands,and Canfield Creek and marsh.  Here are the highlights of our almost four hour trip.

9/11/13 - Westport - Cockenoe Island and LI Sound- 2 Brant, 7 Semipalmated Plover,50 plus Common Tern feeding and a small flock sitting on the water.

Norwalk/Westport - entrance to Canfield Island Creek and marsh between Saugatuck Shores in Westport and Shorehaven in Norwalk- Green-winged Teal,Least Bittern (spotted sitting on the spartina at the edge of the channel allowing for outstanding extended views with the late day sun perfectly lighting the most beautiful Least Bittern I've ever seen),3 Little Blue Heron,4 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron,Spotted Sandpiper,31 Black-bellied Plover,30 Greater Yellowlegs,3 Willets(1 Western and  2 Eastern, one which we flushed up in the marsh and the other roosting next to the Western allowing for excellent comparison views),100+ Ruddy Turnstone,5 Short-billed Dowitcher.

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone